top of page


Immigration Services in Naturalization and travel documents

Grant of citizenship application is the process undertaken by current permanent residents in order to become naturalized Canadian citizens. Canada does not prohibit dual citizenship meaning that you could be a citizen of multiple countries at the same time as long as the other countries do not prohibit dual citizenship. 


There are several key factors that are necessary in order for you to be eligible for Canadian citizenship as annotated by our top immigration consultant. These include:


- living in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1095 days in the past 5 years

- have filed personal income taxes if required to do so for at least 3 years

- if you are between 18 and 54 years old, you must have proof of English or French knowledge via an approved test or diploma

- if you are between 18 and 54 years old, you must pass a knowledge test of Canadian history and culture

- not be under a removal order

- not be inadmissible or prohibited under criminal or security grounds


With new laws regarding impaired driving or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI), a conviction will result in a finding of serious criminality and will most likely result in a person loosing their permanent resident status and/or not being eligible for Canadian citizenship. Contact us to find out if your convictions amount to an inadmissibility.


The proof of language requirements is usually a general test CELPIP or (general CELPIP-LS), EILTs or TEF for French speakers. LINC certificate may also be used in this place and/or graduation certificate from a certain eligible school in some cases. Please note that the academic version of these tests is not eligible for a citizenship application. If in doubt, our immigration lawyers can assist.


You may count up to a maximum of 1 year on temporary status such as visitor, worker, or student towards your citizenship residency requirement. However, each day spent on a temporary status is equivalent to a half day. Therefore, in order to obtain the 1 year, you would have to have been in Canada on temporary immigration status for 2 years. 


Any time that was spent outside of Canada whether on vacation or otherwise in most other cases does not count towards the minimum residency requirement and should be subtracted from the total time. The date the application is signed comprises the cut off date so any time you spent in Canada after that date will not count towards your residency requirement. 


In some unique cases, an exemption from certain requirements can be obtained with help from our team of expert immigration consultants and lawyers. For instance, a letter of medical opinion may assist an individual who would ordinarily have difficulties writing the citizenship test to get special instructions or assistance during the test.    

bottom of page